Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Baby Birds!

Chris here:

The only mini work I got done today was to go to Michael's with my 50% off coupon.  I used my coupon on a clay extruder. I have been having great fun with my polymer clay and am looking forward to expanding my clay building skills.




 I also picked up a box of soft pastels. One of the 2nd hand dollhouse building books I purchased from Amazon has directions for using scraped pastels for coloring polymer food. It's a no lose proposition. If I don't like using them for that, I can use them for landscape drawings.

A few weeks ago, I found these clamps in the $1.00 bin at Target:




I bought 2 sets for me and two sets to send to Hannah. I don't know yet how well they work, but for $1.00 per set, they looked like they were worth trying out. They look like they could come in really handy for working on building dollhouses and furniture.

Meanwhile, the real-life minis at my house are the baby mocking birds. Ma and Pa Mockingbird have made their nest over the table umbrella that was up against the house all winter.

So much for using the umbrella for a while! Both parents are very attentive and are so much fun to watch as they take turns taking care of the babies.  I did not want to disturb the parents or the babies, but I did pull over a chair to make myself tall enough to raise my camera into a position where I could take pictures of what was in the nest. I couldn't see into it myself, so I had to wait to load the photos to my computer to see them.


 It looks like there are four of them. I'm looking forward to seeing them as they feather out and fledge.


4 comments:

  1. Those clamps should work really well when building dollhouses. I have some I got from the hardware store, and they're great for clamping down pieces so they don't warp while the glue is still setting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kyle. They really look perfect for the job.

      Delete
  2. I am so excited about the baby birds that you have atop of the umbrella! Wow to see something like that where you can be a part of it watching and waiting for them to grow and seeing God at work providing for them, right under your nose! Woohooo, I love birds!
    I think that your clay extruder is going to come in very handy when making your mini foods! This area seems to be one that you really enjoy Chris! It can't be easy when your hand is out of commission. I hope that it will heal quickly so that you will be able to really get into it. Making mini foods is a whole lot of fun! Have you visited The Mini Food Blog? That blog just blows my mind!

    elizabeth

    ReplyDelete